Thursday, August 15, 2024
HomeOpinionsFrosh Survival Guide

Frosh Survival Guide

By Katie Ingram, Opinions Columnist

After two months of class following the December holidays, Dalhousie gives students a well-deserved February break. We have one week off, but we’re expected to do work.
Even if we use this time to take a trip, or spend it at home, there are always assignments that are due the week back. Work prevents break from being a true vacation. Don’t fret though. You can keep all or most of the week focused on ‘breaking’, not studying.
If you are leaving Halifax for break, and you don’t want to have to take your work with you, there are two ways to ensure your suitcase is free of textbooks and notes.
If you know you have an assignment or two due after the break, you should do it whenever you have free time. This will make your workload over the next few days a bit larger, but it will definitely pay off in the end.
Also, try spending an extra hour doing homework each night. If you tend to stop doing work at 9 p.m., change it to 10 p.m. Take the extra hour to work out ideas for that essay, or start the first couple questions on that math assignment.
If you are trying to avoid reading over the break, try reading in class during breaks. Even if you only get a few pages done you’ll get a jump start for following week.
If you’re the type of person who wants to do work and assignments over the break, but still want to take time off, try dividing your week in two. Use the first half of the week to do work – then take the other half off.
Don’t spend the entire time doing work if you don’t have to.
Even though the week off is labelled a ‘study break’ you should make sure you have time to yourself that doesn’t revolve around assignments, lab reports, studying and essays. If you adopt this plan, you won’t feel guilty about taking time off because you will have accomplished something.
If you’re one of the unlucky students who have midterms immediately following break, then a solution to your problem becomes slightly trickier.
If you’re planning to leave, you can record your notes and listen to them when you’re on a plane, or lying on a beach somewhere. If you’re not taking a trip during the week, your best bet is to make sure you know what you need to study. That way you can devote at least half the week to studying, even if it’s only a couple hours a day.
No matter what you’re planning for study break, you don’t have to spend the entire time doing work. Get organized and you will start March knowing that you haven’t completely slacked off.
Remember, you’re a student and any time off is well-deserved!