Saturday, July 27, 2024
HomeOpinionsLettersLetters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor

Atlantica Party the “third way”

To the Editor,

I agree with Justin Ling’s analysis on prorogation suggesting a “third way”. The way is to restore the roots of democracy.
Should constituents be able to trigger a by-election if they are unhappy with their representation? Absolutely. Should citizens be able to introduce their own bills? Of course.
Ling mentioned the Atlantica Party. We are a reforming party that supports these and other changes such as electoral reform, fixed election dates, Citizen’s Initiative, allowing citizens to pick the premier directly, no government control of our legislature and more.
Imagine if we had had Citizen’s Initiative during the prorogation. Perhaps a binding referendum would have been triggered regarding prorogation scheduled for the next federal election. The voice of the people: clear and concise!
This is one example of a number of reforms that both Nova Scotia and Canada needs. But don’t look to the existing mainstream parties for reform. You merely have to fight to win.  Do nothing, and you lose.
— Jonathan Dean, leader of the Atlantica Party

Seeking student input for DSU Sustainability Policy

The DSU Sustainability Office is in the process of creating the first ever sustainability policy for the DSU. While still in the process of deciding the scope and depth of the policy and how specific it can be, we are looking for student input.
We want to know what a really green DSU/SUB would look like in an ideal world. The idea is that the policy will outline the DSU’s vision for the future. It will be a mission for how the DSU can reach that vision through the daily activities of the DSU/SUB, as well as a definition of sustainability that goes beyond the standard Bruntland Commission definition “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
The policy will be broken down into areas of focus such as energy, water, paper, events, purchasing, retrofits and transportation. In each of these areas, we hope to address shifts in infrastructure and behaviour. Every new energy efficient fixture needs to be partnered with behavioural changes in DSU/SUB staff and students.
The only restriction in terms of area of focus pertains to anything related to Sodexo and food services at the SUB (excluding catering). If you have suggestions for how Sodexo can ‘green’ their business, please contact sodexo@dal.ca.
Specifically, we want suggestions for the general direction that you think the DSU should take in its approach to sustainability as well as more specific opportunities to reduce our ecological footprint. As well, the office is looking for ideas about how this policy should be monitored from year to year, how often it should be amended and who should enforce it (and how).
If you have any suggestions or questions regarding the DSU sustainability policy, please e-mail dsu.sustain@dal.ca. Responses must be submitted by Friday, Feb. 19.

— Emily Rideout, policy co-ordinator for the DSU Sustainability Office

Baffled by Yaffle editorial

To the Editor,

Joshua Boyter’s article in the 142-16 issue of The Gazette regarding Yaffle is generally informative; however, there are several statements that are misleading and incorrect, such as:
“The gates of the ivory tower have long been a menacing and highly protected place with watchdogs, passwords and reluctant faculty.”
“Often, rigorously conducted research is safeguarded for a privileged few.”
“While the ivory tower still remains guarded, there appear to be cracks in the mortar.”
While these statements may sound sensational and intriguing, they are far from the truth. Research results, with the exception of few commercial and defence related ones, are routinely published in the open literature, and are available to the public through libraries as well as the internet. Faculty members and graduate students widely publish their research results and present them at every opportunity.
“Reluctance” is the last term that would come to mind to describe their attitude regarding the dissemination of their research results. Furthermore, there is no such a thing as “privileged few” in terms of accessing research results; anybody with an interest and a library card can find and obtain any research paper published anywhere in the world, commonly free of charge.
— V. Ismet Ugursal, professor of mechanical engineering at Dalhousie

Coverage of shoe charity doesn’t tie up

To the Editor,

Regarding Samantha Chown’s Jan. 29 article, “Lacing up for a cause,” we are profoundly disappointed that The Gazette would publish such an ill-informed and potentially damaging piece.
Not only does the article needlessly dramatize poverty (“being barefoot is a death sentence”), but it is misleading regarding the primary modes of transmission of HIV.  Furthermore, the article is grossly misrepresentative of Zambia (“a breeding ground for infections and disease”) and disrespectful of Zambians, who only figure in the story as shoeless children with no “actual toys”. Lastly, and most importantly,  the article is damaging in its reproduction and reinforcement of paternalistic, neo-colonial relationships between the global North and the global South.
In the spirit of working collaboratively, to ensure future public commentary on the global North and South, Zambia and HIV and AIDS in Africa is more appropriately represented, we would like to share a few facts and suggestions.
First, Kabwe does have a municipal waste collection system.  Just last April, the Kabwe Municipal Council spent 300 million Kwacha (about $80,000) on new waste collection machinery. Admittedly, the system is inadequate for the town’s needs. But, Kabwe is far from the “breeding ground for infection and disease” depicted in your article.
Next, the transmission of HIV through a “minor cut on someone’s foot” coming in contact with blood- or semen-contaminated refuse, while possible, is hardly a significant factor in Zambia’s epidemic. Transmission of HIV in Zambia occurs predominantly through heterosexual sex, followed by mother-to-child transmission. Poverty, gender inequality, lack of access to education and health care, food insecurity, (all supported through profoundly unequal and oppressive international power systems) increase many Zambians’ vulnerability to HIV infection. This is far more significant (and deserves greater public discourse) than the chance of a foot-wound-stray-semen encounter on the streets of Kabwe.
We do not refute the need for effective development assistance to Zambia and appropriate public eengagement in Canada. Zambia, and indeed Kabwe, have no shortage of shoes. Clearly, Atlantic Canadians have no shortage of used shoes. Walk into a market in any Zambian city and you’ll find heaps of second hand shoes from the North America, Europe and Asia, heaps of cheap imports, and a smattering of locally made sandals.  The transaction cost — in dollars and greenhouse gas emissions — of shipping  and distributing 4,000 used pairs of shoes (along with a “team of volunteers”) to Zambia could buy many more locally-made shoes. Better yet, such financial resources could sustainably impact the fight against HIV and AIDS if directed towards collaborative initiatives with the local people and organizations addressing actual social and economic priorities of the infected and/or affected.
Conscious or not, thus far the media’s coverage of Shoes for Souls’ is through the lens of charity and provides Atlantic Canadians with an opportunity to believe they are participating in meaningful international development through “donating” used shoes. Used shoes.This style of journalism grossly oversimplifies the challenges facing communities in Africa.  Furthermore it completely de-contextualizes poverty in Zambia and exploits harmful stereotypes in the name of charity.
We respect and empathize with Kyle Warkentin’s desire to “do something”. Unfortunately, the promotion of this particular initiative in The Gazette and national media constructs Zambians as helpless, passive, dependent recipients, desperate and grateful for the beneficence of the West (“they’re going to be comforted by the fact that someone actually cares about them”). It also stages citizens of the North as having the power to “literally…prevent death”. The reinforcement of such profoundly one-sided relationships between communities in the South and the North precludes the possibility of challenging these power dynamics. It  further undermines the ongoing efforts of the global development community to reshape the relationship between the North and the South by promoting development assistance based on partnership, solidarity, sustainability and socio-economic justice.
— Beth Hayward, international development studies master’s student at Dalhousie
— Malambo Moonga, programme officer research and training of Women for Change in Lusaka, Zambia
— Darren C. Brown, international development consultant in West Jeddore, Nova Scotia