Wednesday, August 14, 2024
HomeOpinionsLettersLetters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor

Re: Reading required to inspire minds

Public Services staff members at Dalhousie Libraries are observing a significantly elevated expectation that we will hold copies of textbooks and prescribed readings in our collections and/or on Reserve. Tough economic times, a shortage of summer jobs and the burden of student loans certainly make it understandable that students are reluctant to pay upwards of $150 for a single textbook.
We appreciate Glenn Blake’s comment that the library “does not have the budget to be buying books for each class.” Indeed it is our policy not to purchase textbooks, for a variety of reasons. Our collections budget is dedicated to acquiring new print and electronic books and journals, databases, reference materials, media, etc. to support courses at Dalhousie. It would be inappropriate for us provide access to the recycled, repackaged knowledge published in textbooks, which must be updated annually at considerable cost.
To improve the situation for students, we actively encourage faculty to put copies of textbooks on Reserve. Our subject librarians contact their departments to ensure they are taking maximum advantage of our Reserve services, and the Circulation Departments send out reminder emails to faculty in July concerning their Reserve lists. We also encourage regular faculty members to avail themselves whenever possible of the electronic resources, e-books and e-journals the Libraries have acquired, and to incorporate access to these in their course outlines and the Dalhousie course management system.
We sympathize with students regarding the high cost of textbooks, but are hopeful, from our own experience with the purchase of electronic materials, that costs will begin to fall in the next while as textbook publishers transition to new electronic book formats accessible on the web or through a variety of new e-book readers. With the great success of iTunes, can iBooks be far behind?

— William Maes, University Librarian

Re: The hole in our health care

To label the shortage of services for those with mental health problem as “the hole in our mental health system” is a kindness. I think the holes are more like craters. Services to the general public are under-funded, understaffed and are inconsistently available.
I have never met Holly Huntley. I wish I had. Her passionate advocacy speaks clearly through her writing. But it is like the two of us are looking at some figure-ground picture and agreeing on some things, but seeing different perceptions. Is it a vase? Is it a woman?
I do know Holly’s boss, Stan Kutcher, who was interviewed for the article. Stan has collaborated with the Counselling Centre. Staff members here have spent hours volunteering our time to help with the writing and the editing of the Transitions book Holly refers to.
I’m glad Holly feels so passionate about the value of the booklet. Counselling Centre staff members have also written publications for which there are insufficient funds to distribute to all students.
Our centre’s staff members consult with various other services when it would be helpful to serve our students better. Having good relationships with our mental health colleagues throughout Metro is essential. Although there are holes and shortages in the mental health system, many people are working hard together to provide the best care possible. You would be shocked to learn about the number of unsung heroes in our systems that have jumped over holes, refused to acknowledge holes, or have personally filled in holes.
Like Holly, Stan is also a passionate advocate for mental health consumers. I have heard him speak at numerous fundraisers and admire his work and his personal style. Sometimes it is difficult to understand a system at first glance. Whether you are looking at us as a system with holes or a system with people stretching to provide the best services for you, please know we want to be helpful.

— Jeanette Hung, Career Counselling services Coordinator, Counselling Services