Wednesday, August 14, 2024
HomeOpinionsDalhousieTake one for the team: Get your flu shot

Take one for the team: Get your flu shot

Dr. Shashi Gujar, Staff Contributor

Flu season is just around the corner. This year, however, you don’t need to sweat about fever, chills or body aches. Unlike last year, flu shots are abundant and available to every Canadian free of charge.

Flu is a common respiratory disease caused by the contagious Influenza virus. An infected person can remain contagious and spread the virus to others up to two weeks from the time symptoms arise. While typical symptoms include fever, sneezing, and general misery, the flu also causes approximately 20,000 hospitalizations and 2000-8000 deaths every year in Canada, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada.

Last year, most of the world was affected by a pandemic swine flu H1N1, along with seasonal influenza. Statistics Canada reported that whopping 1.5 million Canadians between ages of 15–69 (1 in every 10) became ill in Nov. 2009 alone. Unfortunately, many Canadians still don’t get their flu shot.

This year’s flu shot will protect against three major strains of flu: seasonal flu, H1N1 and a new strain called H3N2. These shots are available to anyone over the age of six months through physician offices, workplace clinics and public health clinics throughout Nova Scotia.

Contrary to many myths, the flu vaccine is very safe and is your best protection against flu. The World Health Organization (WHO) states that flu shots prevent up to 90 per cent of flu-specific illnesses.

Canadians are blessed with a publicly funded national health insurance program, Medicare. Medicare assures every Canadian a equitable access to health care and symbolizes the underlying Canadian values of equity and solidarity.

Canada’s chief public health officer, Dr. David Butler-Jones, announced that the public costs of not preventing flu would be far higher than the money spent immunizing millions of people. This year we are expected to spend approximately $191.1 billion on health care. Most of this money comes from Canadian taxpayers like you. If every Canadian treated this shared pot of money as a household budget, and acted towards making it go longer, we would have more money available for the health care system.

A 2009 study by B. Sander, C. Bauch and colleagues has demonstrated that influenza vaccination program is cost-effective. In 2009, Ontario spent $118 million on the flu vaccination program. This program vaccinated an estimated 30 per cent of the population, prevented 1.4 million cases of influenza infection, avoided 35 deaths and reduced the flu treatment costs by 50 per cent. It is a no-brainer: vaccinating more people will save us in health care costs.

Many young people argue that they do not need a flu shot because they never get flu, or if they get it they will fight it off. However, the Public Health Agency of Canada has confirmed that H1N1 strain affects more young and healthy people than the regular seasonal flu. Most importantly, these people with flu remain a source of infection and can cause deadly consequences, especially in those more vulnerable of our society — children, the elderly or those friends and family members with chronic conditions like heart disease and respiratory or immune system related problems.

Getting your flu shot is an act of consideration for fellow Canadians. If more people get their shots, less people will end up in hospitals and free up more health professionals to attend those in the urgent need. Furthermore, it will save Medicare millions. After all, Medicare is run by your money. How you save it and/or spend it defines the quality of health care services you get in return.

So roll up those sleeves and get that flu shot. If not for yourself, take one for the team — for your family, friends or for Canada.

Shashi Gujar is a post-doctoral fellow in the department of microbiology and immunology at Dalhousie.