Tuesday, September 17, 2024
HomeSportsBasketballFirst-hand at the AUS basketball playoffs

First-hand at the AUS basketball playoffs

By Armaan Ahluwalia, Staff Contributor

I’ve attended many live sporting events in my lifetime. I’ve seen the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, the Manitoba Moose and I have even caught some World Junior hockey. This past weekend was like nothing I had ever experienced in person.

The AUS men’s basketball championship took place at the Metro Centre in Halifax this year and I made it a goal to go for the Gazette. Seeing as how I had taken an interest in AUS basketball this year, it was exciting for me to go see my school, Dalhousie, on the playoff stage. Seeing them during the regular season at the DalPlex and the Tower was one thing, but this was at the Metro Centre.

I was lucky enough to get the media pass for the weekend and it the value of it was priceless. This was my first time getting a real media pass and I was not sure how to use it. It was almost like that first time flying first class—you aren’t really sure of what you can ask for after being in economy your whole life.

I was directed down the hallway to the media room. I was underneath the stands as I walked past the Mooseheads’ and visitor’s dressing rooms. I had never been this close to the locker room of any major sports arena. I ventured further down the hall and came to the “media area” where there were some refreshments and TVs. The gentleman at the front asked where I was from, and I replied the Gazette. He nodded his head, acknowledging that I was a young journalist who didn’t belong in the media section.

I was unsure how to get to the stands as I was underneath them. The gentleman pointed in the direction of the large amount of light. I walked where he told me and out onto the floor of the Metro Centre. As I left the dark media room underneath the stands, I was met by bright lights and noises. I was totally awestruck, and had never felt anything like this before. It was amazing being that close to all of the action. Feeling a little out of place, I made my way to my seat.

We arrived early to the Dalhousie-St. FX game, and were pleased to see that Cape Breton were still playing Acadia. That game was one of the best games I have ever seen live. CBU were the heavily favoured team in playing middle-of-the-pack Acadia. Acadia were down by fifteen at one point, but slowly brought the game back to force overtime. Acadia managed to win it and earn a berth in the CIS Final 8 tournament, which is also being hosted in Halifax. As Acadia narrowed the deficit, the Acadia support made their presence known, and the atmosphere was electric.

The Dalhousie game was just as charged. Many people went to the pre-party at Dirty Nelly’s, where Dal Athletics were giving away tickets to the game. They ran out of tickets.

Unfortunately, St. FX fans still dominated the Metro Centre. Every time the X-Men scored more than half of the building would erupt in cheers. On the Dal side there were many fans with thunder sticks and one fan with a cow bell.

The excitement of watching players on the teams go out and compete for their schools is entertaining enough. The passion of the players makes the game and the league that much better. It would be amazing if more students went out to go see AUS competitions. This weekend has made me that much more of an AUS supporter. It’s worth it.

ANTINOMIAN

Not every romance is a rom-com