Saturday, July 27, 2024
HomeSportsHockeyLoss not a big surprise

Loss not a big surprise

By Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor

The effects of a long bus ride from Halifax to Fredericton showed as the Dalhousie Tigers lost 5–1 against the University of New Brunswick varsity Reds last Friday night at the Aitken Centre.

It was a lack-lustre effort by the Tigers, who struggled to get the puck out of their own zone. UNB forward Jeff Lee got things started for the Reds, scoring on a back hand shot in front of the crease.

Defenseman Jonathan Harty scored UNB’s second goal of the game with 11:20 left to go in the first. UNB nearly made the score 3–0 as defenseman Josh Kidd shot just wide. UNB would add another goal before the period was over.

The second period started with UNB on the attack, the Tigers struggling to keep up with the speedy UNB players.

That would change as late in second period as the Tigers started to show some life. In the last four minutes of the second period UNB’s forward Ryan Seymour was called for slashing penalty. Dal made the Reds pay, with Patrick Daley scoring after a great block by the Tigers at the offensive blue line to keep the puck in.

All of a sudden the Tigers were skating well, winning battles along the boards and outworking the UNB players.

But it was all for naught. The Tigers would not be able to take that momentum into the third period. UNB added two more goals in third period to make it 5–1, taking control of the game.

With the loss, the Tigers now have a 1–2 record and remain on the road until Nov. 5 with games against UPEI and STFX.