HomeSportsSoccerMen’s soccer with frustrating losses to Huskies, Capers

Men’s soccer with frustrating losses to Huskies, Capers

Tigers slumping, remain winless in past four matches

Photo by Alex Maxwell
Photo by Alex Maxwell

The Dalhousie Tigers suffered their second consecutive defeat after their 4-1 loss at the hands of the Cape Breton Capers on Sept. 27 on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon at Wickwire Field. The last time these teams faced each other, they each had to settle for a point, after a 2-2 draw.

The game started off slowly, but gathered pace when Tigers co-captain Mark Hagan was given a penalty in the box early in the match. Though the Tigers had the first scoring opportunity, it was Capers striker Ian Greedy who calmly converted the penalty to give the Capers a 1-0 lead in 18th minute.

Both teams had some great opportunities to score, especially the Capers who should have extended their lead off multiple chances, but Tigers first-year keeper Tristan Leopold made some nice saves to keep the score 1-0 in favour of the guests. In the dying minutes of first half, Cape Breton managed to extend their lead to two goals after a great run made by Kwabe Boateng with the ball from the wings. Boateng passed the ball to Greedy who put the ball in the back of net for his second.

The Tigers started the second half brightly and created many goal scoring chances, but Capers goalie Josh Lines was up to the task and made some remarkable saves.

Greedy had a great chance to give the away team a three-goal cushion, but narrowly missed, keeping their lead at two. Despite this, the Capers got their third goal through Liverpool-born Mark Stewart in the 76th minute. The Tigers were exposed on defence, which led them to concede the third of the day.

Defender Ryan Lewars gave the home supporters something to cheer about after he scored from the resulting corner in the 81st minute. The goal was a mere consolation for the Tigers with not enough time to stage a dramatic comeback.

The day belonged to Capers skipper Ian Greedy who scored his third goal of the game and fifth for the Capers. Greedy received a standing ovation from his teammates when he was substituted late in the game. He was named player of the game.

The match concluded a dismal home stand for the Tigers, after losing back-to-back matches. The losses put the Tigers in sixth position with eight points, while the Capers move up to third after another win against the St. FX X-Men. After a slow start, the Capers are now riding a three game winning streak.

The Tigers will visit Université de Moncton on Oct. 4 which will be a must win for both teams. They then travel to Fredericton to take on the UNB V-Reds who currently sit first in the AUS with a 6-0-1 record.