HomeSportsScotiabank Women’s Volleyball Invitational hits Dalplex

Scotiabank Women’s Volleyball Invitational hits Dalplex

Tigers see first bit of preseason action under their own roof

Photo by Alex Maxwell
Photo by Alex Maxwell

The Dalhousie women’s volleyball team kicked off their exhibition season last weekend at the Scotiabank Women’s Volleyball Invitational at the Dalplex. Their first two games proved a great success with two dominant wins over Acadia University and Université de Moncton.

The Tigers beat Acadia in three straight sets (25-13, 25-12, 25-15) and the Aigles Bleus in three as well. The Tigers struggled against Memorial on Saturday night, however, resulting in a three sets to one loss. They started each set slow but did not stop battling, which led to some very close sets (26-28, 23-25, 25-23, 14-25).

The Tigers made a great comeback from the previous day in their last match against their town rivals, the Huskies. Down a set, they found ways to score against SMU and won the next three sets and the game.

Although the tournament did not have a definitive winner, Dal and Saint Mary’s finished on top, both with three wins and a loss. Acadia and Memorial both finished with 2-2 records, while Moncton was unable to come up with a win.

Dal has a young team this year with only one fifth-year player. A transfer student from the University of Toronto, Alexandra Hudson, will provide experience and a strong middle presence for the Tigers.

The Tigers also have four rookies on the team this year. Emma Ciprick, Mieke DuMont, Anne Krywitsky and Gabby Sakowicz. Showing lots of talent this weekend, they look like they will be a driving force for the Tigers shot at a third consecutive banner.

Third-year libero Marisa Mota received tournament MVP.

The women’s next big test is an interlock tournament in Montreal the weekend of Oct. 24-26 where they will play against Sherbrooke, McGill, Montreal and Laval. Their season starts the following week at UNB on Nov 1.