HomeSportsTop three remain the same in women's long-track

Top three remain the same in women’s long-track

By Sarah Kraus, Staff Contributor

In the women’s long-track speed skating team pursuit this afternoon, the three provinces leading the medal count thus far added more hardware to their suitcases.

In front of an impressive crowd, the ladies from British Columbia had the fastest six laps, earning them the gold medal. The camaraderie between the athletes was evident when team Manitoba, sporting their bison toques, cheered B.C. across the finish line.

Quebec followed in second place, while Alberta took home the bronze. The top three race times were very close, with only two seconds separating first place from third.

When the official gave the word to “go to the start,” the girls took their positions before getting up on their toes to the command of “ready!” The instant the beep signified the start of the race, the athletes took off, their skate blades slicing up the ice in short, quick strides.

When the warning bell rang out, coaches pushed their athletes to drain their energy reserves and skate full-tilt for the remaining lap.

Alberta skater Jennessa Kemp said that although she was “pretty happy” with her team’s third place finish, considering that all four skaters specialize in short-track sprints, she said the team “would have liked to place higher. We were a little upset that Quebec beat us.”

Even Mayor Peter Kelly took advantage of the sunshine today to stop by the Canada Games Oval and support our country’s best young speed-skaters.

However, fans braving the bitter winds audibly grumbled about the forty-five minute break between the women’s and men’s events.

After taking off their skates and changing into warmer gear in the heated athletes stations, many of the women’s teams ventured back out into the cold to cheer on their male counterparts before attending the final medal ceremonies.

Editor’s Note: Sarah Kraus is a King’s journalism student and multi-sport athlete. She volunteered as a media representative for the Canada Games at Saint Mary’s University. She also writes for the Gazette.