HomeUncategorizedHuskies claw over Tigers in standings

Huskies claw over Tigers in standings

SMU ranked second, poised for semifinal bye

Women's soccer, Oct 21. Photo by Rob Grandy
Women's soccer, Oct 21. Photo by Rob Grandy.

Although last Friday’s game, the first of two, ended in a scoreless disappointment, the second match did not. Saint Mary’s women’s soccer team took the three points against Dalhousie Oct. 26 and jumped past the Tigers in the standings, too, moving into second place with a 1 – 0 win.

The lone goal was scored on a header by Lindsay Millett, resulting from a botched defensive play by the Tigers in the 44th minute.

The Tigers attempted to score an equalizer in the second half, showing offence with greater abundance than they have been this season. Even with the exploitation of a poor Huskies backfield, however, Saint Mary’s still managed to hold the lead. It was an even match throughout, and perhaps the best of the season thus far for the Tigers.

SMU only needs to win one of their two games this weekend to clinch second place and a bye to the semifinals. With this in mind, third-seeded Dalhousie will likely play the host UNB Varsity Reds in the quarterfinals. The AUS championships runs Nov. 4-6 in Fredericton.

Dalhousie welcomes the winless Acadia Axewomen to Wickwire Field for the final game of the regular season Sunday, Oct. 30. The match begins at 1 p.m.

For an extended recap of the game, check the Nov. 4 edition of the Dalhousie Gazette.

Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Hailing from Saint John, Andrew followed his frosh leader to a Gazette contributor's meeting in his first week at Dalhousie and didn't look back. He took on the women's soccer beat, attending games at Wickwire no matter the weather and watching the webcast whenever the Tigers were on a different pitch. He does not claim any responsibility for the Tigers winning the league championship during his first season covering the team.