HomeArts & CultureEight societies and clubs to join this semester

Eight societies and clubs to join this semester

Highlighting group fun at Dal

Did you miss the society expo? Or maybe you just couldn’t face the deafening roar of student voices, all yelling at you with various degrees of passion?

If that’s you, I’ve got you. 

I’ve compiled a list of eight clubs open to all Dalhousie University and University of King’s College students to join. The list includes something for almost everyone, including the sporty, the artistic and the confrontational.

Dal/King’s Swing Dance Society

Dal/King’s Swing Dance Society hosts both swing dancing lessons and social dances. The society welcomes anyone to join; they start teaching from the basics. 

“We’ll get you dancing,” said Jolena Klymyshyn, a dance teacher with the society. “It’s a lot of fun, no partner needed, no experience needed. It’s just a lot of expressing yourself and having fun with friends.”

They host drop-in dancing every Saturday at 8 p.m. at Studley Gym dance studio, for a cover of five dollars. 

Those interested can find more info on their website

Dal/King’s Debate Society (SODALES)

The Dal/King’s Debate Society debates everything from politics and economics, to pop culture and sports. They meet every Monday and Wednesday for impromptu debate at 6 p.m., in room 1009 of the Rowe Building. 

“Basically the topic drops, you get 15 minutes to prep, and then you go right in,” said John Pearce, the president of the club. “You can be as competitive as you want to be, or as not competitive. We’d love to see whoever would like to come.”

He also noted that the club provides opportunities for subsidized travel. In October they will be travelling to Yale University, and in November to Calgary. 

They can be found on Instagram, @dal_kings_debate.

Dalhousie/King’s Crafting Society

Dalhousie/King’s Crafting Society provides a space for different crafters of all types to gather. They will be hosting weekly crafting drop-ins, with opportunities for people to bring their own crafts, as well as workshopping events to learn new forms of crafting. They will also be organizing field trips to craft fairs and stores.

“Our overall goal is to foster a space for people to gather and learn about crafting,” said Lokman Wong. 

They will be meeting on Thursdays from 6-8 p.m., with the location not yet determined. To keep updated, head to their Instagram, @dalkingscraft

Dalhousie Women in Sport (DWIS)

Dalhousie Women in Sport is a group that aims to provide a community for all female and non-binary students passionate about sports. They run and participate in a variety of initiatives to achieve their objective.

Initiatives include promoting attendance at varsity games and organizing charity tournaments to raise money for the women’s shelter in Halifax.

“We did dodgeball last year, and this year we’re gonna do flag football and dodgeball,” said Emma Ward, the events director. 

Soon they will be taking part in Run for the Cure, a fundraiser put on by CIBC that raises money to help those impacted by breast cancer. 

As well as events, DWIS also promotes employment opportunities through sports and works with the community to help girls get access to sports equipment. 

Those interested can sign up to be a general member and receive emails about events taking place. 

They can also be found on Instagram, @dalhousiewomeninsport.

Dalhousie ASL Society

The Dalhousie ASL Society aims to spread awareness about the deaf and hard-of-hearing community by learning from those directly in the community. 

“In the past, we’ve had deaf presenters, we’ve had people do ASL classes [and] we’ve done movie nights,” explained Delaney MacNeil.  

The events are spread throughout the year, and all are free. 

More information is available on their Instagram, @dalhousieasl.  

DalOut

DalOut is Dalhousie’s 2SLGBTQIA+ society.

“We are Dalhousie’s one and only queer society,” said Ry Lewis, the grad student rep. “We exist to foster connections within a queer community for students on campus.” 

DalOut runs events throughout the semester like queer hangouts, sex toy bingo and trivia nights. 

Details about future events can be found on their Instagram, @outdal.

Dalhousie Beekeeping Society

The Dal Beekeeping Society is focused on the sustainability of beekeeping, and increasing everyone’s knowledge on how to beekeep.

The society started two years ago, and currently has six hives.

“It’s a great opportunity to learn, if you’ve ever been curious about it,” said Kylie Lightbody.

The society has three meetings every semester focused around learning how to keep bees, and also hosts guest speakers. At meetings, students will learn the proper techniques of beekeeping through a hands-on approach. 

More information about meeting places and times can be found on their Instagram, @dalbeekeeping

Dalhousie Chess Club

The Dalhousie Chess Club runs a range of chess-related events open to all skill levels. Although they mostly focus on casual playing, they do host some high-level events as well.

“We run everything from socials, to tournaments, to seminars, and it’s all open to anybody,” said Gavin Murray, the secretary of the club. 

Those interested can find more information on their Instagram, @dalchess