HomeArts & CultureLoud and clear

Loud and clear

Heemin Choi, left, and Willem Blois, right, are two of the three Dalhousie Student Competition winners. (Chris Parent photo)

Studying music at university isn’t quite as simple it sounds. Between the endless repetitions and rehearsals, it really takes a specific character to excel. In the case of three particular Dalhousie music majors – 22 year-old pianist Willem Blois, 20 year-old violinist Heemin Choi, and 23 year-old soprano Brittany Cann – the key here is drive.

The trio have been named the winners of the 3rd annual Dalhousie Student Competition, and have been selected to play a number of arrangements in Mahone Bay on Friday, September 6. The concert is the last of the Music at Three Churches summertime series.

Blois, Choi and Cann have all been involved with music since they were young.

“I really started playing when I was six,” recounts Choi. “My dad brought home a violin one day and I just picked it up.”

Regardless of what got the fire started, the three music students are now shining examples of the perseverance it requires to make it through the arduous program. Despite never having played together prior to winning the competition, Blois, Choi and Cann share practically identical ideologies on music and overcoming challenges.

“If you have the drive to succeed, you will,” says Cann, “that’s the only thing that really sets you apart. Like with anything, the more time you put into your studies the more that comes out of it.”

“I think that playing with other people is most important,” notes Blois. “When you’re isolated, you cut yourself off from all that musical knowledge that’s around you. Everyone gathers it from somewhere; you should be willing to collect it and share it.”

Sharing music is arguably the point, after all. All three students are constantly performing whenever given the chance, expanding their networks and collaborating with new faces.

“A lot of people don’t know about us,” Cann explains. “If we move out of the Rebecca Cohn [auditorium] and into the city, it’s another way to showcase the different styles students can play.”

Blois is working particularly hard at getting Dalhousie music out there, as director of a new outreach program. “It’s about taking small Dalhousie ensembles and putting them in under-served organizations,” he says. “More so than just playing, it’s about giving Dalhousie students more experience in giving engaging concerts.”

Choi wraps up the process rather succinctly: “You have to go out there and try to play for whoever will listen. Enjoy what you do and do it to the best of your ability.”

Mat Wilush
Mat Wilush
Mat Wilush once went to see Agent Orange on the outskirts of Toronto, where the beer was salty and drunken teenagers took turns sitting in a prop electric chair. The music had aged poorly. A mohawk’d middle-ager danced through the first couple songs, but quickly tired out. There just isn’t much room for surf rock in the world anymore. What next? Mat Wilush wants to know. Mat is the Gazette's Arts Editor. Follow him on Twitter at @wilushwho and email him at arts@dalgazette.com.