HomeArts & CultureTunes Review: Bahamas - Barchords

Tunes Review: Bahamas – Barchords

The first thing I noticed about Afie Jurvanen’s (aka Bahamas) sophomore album, Barchords, was how refreshing simplicity can be. It’s clear from the clever album title that Toronto singer-songwriter values the guitar’s basic and common barre chord. Jurvanen’s simple style allows him to beautifully express some of the most complicated feelings that love ignites without all the overwhelming noise that goes on in our heads when we are in love.

Barchords begins as a relationship finishes on the opening track, “Lost In The Light.” This song is his way of guiding the lovers to the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel. The warm, pure tone of the electric guitar and the slow, steady rhythm show his calmness in approaching the end of the relationship. The hopeful layers that develop around a simple guitar melody all lead to a beautifully harmonized yet fleeting chorus made up of a single line, “being free leaving me on my own.” It is such a powerful moment of understanding that it gave me chills when I first heard it. In the final seconds the guitar twinkles signifying acceptance of the end, setting the tone for the album.

The enlightenment continues in “Caught Me Thinking” where Jurvanen gives a confession: “now I know beyond the shadow of a doubt it’s my fault.” Yet this time, the beloved tropical twist to Jurvanen’s riffs that is so prominent on his first album, Pink Strat, returns making the track more upbeat and fun. He puts a positive spin on his mistakes using this catchy melody to suggest that maybe being alone is something to be excited about.

Similarly, “Okay, Alright, I’m Alive” uses syncopated rhythms and playful lyrics to show that it helps to turn to humour in tough times: ”I can tell when you lie/ it’s so obvious/ the wink of the mannequin’s eye.” The chorus again suggests that things will be fine as he sings with the jingling tambourine, “It’s okay, that’s alright, I’m alive.”

The album isn’t all optimistic. Jurvanen plunges into the depths of his heart revealing some of his most intimate feelings and disappointments on “Snowplow.” It begins with a single chord until the sound has almost faded, then a guitar riff starts the verse. Slowly the piano harmonizes with the tune, then soft, breathy back-up vocals join in. The original melody is so bare that it portrays the vulnerability of being naked. His quiet words“Here I am back again, and wishing now was then / and I could write all the wrongs/ instead of writing songs,” reveal how small and vulnerable love can make a person feel.

The uplifting major chords of the last track, “Be My Witness,” bring a welcome resolution as Jurvanen sings a marriage proposal. Barchords begins with an end and ends with a beginning, suggesting that simply accepting our needs can lead us to find happiness.