HomeNewsDalhousieDSU election schedule set

DSU election schedule set

After the candidates have shaken some hands and delivered fliers, students will decide who will comprise next year’s Dalhousie Student Union (DSU) executive.

The student union’s executive positions of president, vice-president academic and external, vice-president internal and vice-president student life will be decided on the evening of Friday, Mar. 14 following three days of voting and a preceding seven days of campaigning.

Dalhousie students will also vote for three students to join the senate and one individual to fill the vacant student spot on the board of governors.

At least 10 referendum questions are expected on the ballot.

The whirlwind election process begins with the nomination period, which began on Wednesday, Feb. 26 and runs until Monday, Mar. 3. After the paperwork has been filed, all candidates will attend a meeting to go over the rules the next day.

The campaign starts on Wednesday, Mar. 5. Two debates, held in the lobby of the Student Union Building (SUB), will highlight the week-long canvassing period.

Students will head to the polls from Wednesday, Mar. 12 to Friday, Mar. 14, both on campus and online. The winner in each election category will be announced on the last evening of the campaign.

The complete schedule is as follows:

Nomination period – Wednesday, Feb. 26, 11:59 p.m. to Monday, Mar. 3, 12 p.m.

All-candidates meeting – Tuesday, Mar. 4, 7 p.m.

Campaign period – Wednesday, Mar. 5, 12:01 a.m. to Tuesday, Mar. 11, 11 p.m.

Vice-presidents’ forum – Thursday, Mar. 6, 12-2 p.m., SUB lobby

DSU presidential debate – Tuesday, Mar. 11, 12-2pm, SUB lobby

Voting period – Wednesday Mar. 12, 9 a.m. to Friday, Mar. 14, 4:30 p.m.

Live results release – Friday, Mar. 14, 6:30 p.m., Grawood

Most nominees will be involved in the vice-presidents’ forum on Thursday, Mar. 6, while the candidates in the running for DSU president will debate their platform’s merits on Tuesday, Mar. 11. Faculty society positions are not included in these two debates.

Ian Froese
Ian Froese
Ian was the Gazette's Editor-in-chief for Volume 146. He was the Sports Editor for Volumes 145 and 144.