HomeNewsDalhousieKing’s student assaulted on Dal campus

King’s student assaulted on Dal campus

Dal-Gazette-LogoVictim has decided not to file a report

The University of King’s College student who was assaulted on Dalhousie campus Oct. 3 has decided not to file a report with police.

Const. Brian Palmeter, a spokesman with Halifax Regional Police, says it’s encouraged for victims to report incidents like this but that some people have personal considerations preventing them from doing so.

According to a security bulletin circulated via email on Oct. 6, a man approached the student, asked her where she was going and what she had in her bag, then took her money and keys and tried to grab her. The assault, which happened outside of Risley Hall, has some Dal students concerned about safety on campus.

Armaan Ahluwahlia is in his third year at Dal. He says he thinks the mugging could have been prevented.

“I think that these events are becoming more and more frequent each year,” he says. “And I think Dal Security should be taking more of an initiative to protect our students.”

Hilary Casey, a third-year Dal commerce student, says she’s not often on campus at night but worries about friends who are.

“All these ‘close to home, could’ve been me’ happenings make me want to forward the security bulletins to everyone I know again and again,” she says.

“Since it’s not always possible to keep ourselves out of those ‘alone walking in the dark’ situations, perhaps with the knowledge and email reminders we’ll at least stay more vigilant.”

This assault comes a month after Dal Security cancelled the Tiger Patrol walk-home service due to disuse, and less than a week after the King’s chapel was heavily vandalized.

Torey Ellis
Torey Ellis
Torey was the Copy Editor of the Gazette for Volume 145 and Assistant News Editor for Volume 144.