Wednesday, May 1, 2024
HomeUncategorizedRookie setters finish the job

Rookie setters finish the job

Men’s volleyball fends off UBC in exhibition

Men's Volleyball scores. Photo by Paul Balite.
Men's volleyball scores. Photo by Paul Balite.

Two Dalhousie rookies went through a baptism by fire in their first ever university game Sunday. It was a welcome they won’t soon forget.

With starting setter Angus Rhuland nursing a dislocated shoulder and last season’s backup Justin Kilb not returning, the Tigers suddenly had an opening at setter. Rookies Robbie Johnson and William Bremner took on the task commendably, sharing duties en route to a tight 3 – 2 victory to the University of British Columbia at the Dalplex for the home team’s first preseason game of the year.

Rhuland and middle Daniel You, also injured, are both expected to return to the court shortly. They are unlikely to play in Monday and Tuesday’s game.

The Tigers were able to bounce back from a mistake-laden third set to win the final two frames.

Game scores were 28 – 26, 21 – 25, 14 – 25, 25 – 22 and 15 – 13.

There is plenty of opportunity for UBC to get vengeance after their defeat as the Thunderbirds fly back to the Dalplex Monday, Oct. 10 at 2 p.m. The two teams then head to UNB on Tuesday to play for the first time at the school’s new $62-million Currie Center.

For an extended recap of the game, read the Oct. 14 issue of the Dalhousie Gazette.

Ian Froese
Ian Froese
Ian was the Gazette's Editor-in-chief for Volume 146. He was the Sports Editor for Volumes 145 and 144.