HomeUncategorizedLow-scoring Tigers need a hail mary

Low-scoring Tigers need a hail mary

Football club 0 – 3 after fourth quarter lapse

SMU's football team looks on. Photo by Alice Hebb.
The Hurricanes look on. Photo by Alice Hebb.

With four touchdowns and zero field goals in three games, the Dalhousie Football Club will be hard pressed to get out of their losing slump anytime soon.

The Tigers are winless in their opening three games after the home side collapsed in the fourth quarter, dropping a 28 – 7 decision to the Holland College Hurricanes Saturday afternoon at Wickwire Field. The Hurricanes now sit atop the AFL with a 3 – 0 record.

Tigers head coach Mike Tanner told the Gazette after the game that he is still without a designated starting pivot after he once again gave both Brendan Festeryga and Scott Seamone playing time in the losing effort.

Dal was close early, energizing the Thanksgiving crowd in the last play of the first half when Steven Fox ran a 25-yard passing play for a touchdown, closing the deficit to 8 – 7. The tight score remained for nearly a quarter until the final second of the third when a reception by Robbie Tufts extended the Hurricanes’ lead to 14 – 7. Many holes were exposed in Dal’s defence in the fourth quarter as the visitors completed two further touchdowns to close the scoring.

The Tigers have lost their three matches this season to a combined score of 77 – 26.

For an extended recap of the game, read the Oct. 14 issue of the Dalhousie Gazette.

Ian Froese
Ian Froese
Ian was the Gazette's Editor-in-chief for Volume 146. He was the Sports Editor for Volumes 145 and 144.