HomeNewsThe university in today’s world

The university in today’s world

Panel discusses what the “business” of the university is in the 21st century

gazette_logo

On Sept. 26, the “Business of the University in the 21st Century” was discussed at a symposium hosted by the Royal Society of Canada (RSC) Atlantic, a group of Canadian scholars focused on research and promoting the arts and humanities.

Panel discussions were the main event of the symposium, with topics including the importance of university research and its funding sources, impacts of failed research, the role of students in society and the future of online learning classes.

The symposium invited RSC fellows, Atlantic Canadian university presidents and vice presidents, student union presidents and others involved in university life.

One of many professors attending was RSC member and assistant professor of biomedical science at the University of P.E.I., Sunny Hartwig. She attended the symposium in order to learn ways to better help her students by listening to the experts in field.

“The university is one of the few environments that provides four years of unique experience between the younger and older generation. It is a source where different backgrounds, histories and cultures meet. This usually changes a person,” says Hartwig.

Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) were one of the topics discussed at the symposium. Such a course has the potential for unlimited online participation, but has inevitable negatives as well.

Hartwig discussed her thoughts about such a radical change to learning becoming a reality, saying she would be “disappointed, because screens would not be able to provide a human touch. Especially because the younger generation is connected to be disconnected.”

Justin Corcoran, vice president (advocacy) from Mount Saint Vincent University, attended the symposium as a representative from the university, but also out of interest for what officials had to say at the event.

“Students are funding society not just through economic growth,” says Corcoran when asked about the role of students in today’s world. “Students are a resource to the community.”