HomeOpinionsDalhousieGarden state alert

Garden state alert

Where did all my plants go? (Bryn Karcha photo)

Recently in the Dalhousie community, there have been reports of individuals robbing the Dal community garden. The garden is located on Henry Street behind the Computer Science building, and was officially opened last year.

This is the first time that there has been an issue in the community garden. I know what your thinking: who in the world would steal from a garden in the first place? Gardens are an enjoyable, relaxing place to go when you are stressed, not a scene for criminal theft.

Well, let’s think about it. You could use that money for anything, good or bad.  For example, school money—you can spend it on food.  On the other hand, you could spend it on alcohol or drugs. However, it does not mater what you spend it on.  It is still a wrong and unnecessary action.

The thieves stole about ten plants in total, which is about $200 worth of plants. That’s no small amount of money. Gardens are built in a spirit of community and a desire to share beauty with others, so what is in it for individuals to steal from gardens? What good can come out of this? Gardens are for sharing, not stealing.  From this point of view, stealing from a garden is almost like stealing a holiday. It is just mean.

Apparently, stealing from community gardens is becoming the new thing to do. The same situation happened in Chicago when a community garden noticed several of their vegetables missing and later caught the theft red- handed while stealing from their garden. The owner of this garden even tried to put up a sign saying, “Please do not steal the vegetables!” However, even this sign was stolen along with several vegetables.

Stealing from gardens may sound laughable, and it is—it can be funny to think about, but actually putting this thought into action is stupid. Stealing from gardens is just like stealing from a store: not a laughing matter, but a criminal offense to the community.

The next time you see a community garden, do not steal from it.  Instead, sit down on a bench and enjoy the relaxing moment, alone or with friends. People work extremely hard to build a successful garden, so whatever you do, do not destroy their work.  Gardens are not for stealing. They are for peace and quiet.