Tuesday, October 15, 2024
HomeOpinionsHalifaxReclaiming “third places” in Halifax

Reclaiming “third places” in Halifax

The recent 25 day closure of the Halifax Public Libraries due to a strike by the Nova Scotia Union of Public and Private Employees (NSUPE) Local 14 highlighted the importance of third places. 

In a city like Halifax, where communal spaces are increasingly commodified or shrinking, the absence of public libraries served as a reminder of the critical need for “third places,” spaces where people can gather, foster community and find respite beyond the bounds of work and home.

The decline of third places

The concept of the “third place” was pioneered by sociologist Ray Oldenburg, who described these spaces as essential for fostering social interaction and building community. Unlike the “first place,” home, or the “second place,” work, third places offer neutral ground where people can engage informally. They are venues where relationships are formed, ideas are exchanged and community is cultivated. Libraries, parks, cafés and even bars serve as backdrops for communal life.

The COVID-19 pandemic exacerbated an already troubling decline in third places. Physical distancing and public space closures pushed people back into their homes, leaving cafés empty and parks neglected. As the pandemic dragged on, remote work and digital interactions became the new normal

Beyond the immediate impacts of the pandemic, deeper economic forces have contributed to the erosion of third places. Gentrification and rising rents, particularly in urban centres, have led to the closure of small businesses and displaced residents, leaving entire neighbourhoods without affordable, welcoming places to gather.

Capitalism and commodification

This growing exclusion is no accident. Capitalism commodifies everything, from basic needs like food and shelter to markets, such as Amazon. Social spaces are not exempt from ever increasing commodification. Cafés, gyms and cooperative spaces are accessible only to those who can pay, and loitering is discouraged. 

In these commercialized environments, socialising becomes transactional. Low-income individuals and marginalized communities are increasingly excluded from communal life. With fewer truly public spaces available, people are left with no alternative but paying to participate in social settings, which alters their interactions and undermines their connections.

In many ways, public libraries are the last free and accessible third place in any city. Unlike cafés or bars that often demand some form of consumption or carry the pressures of privatisation, libraries remain true public spaces. They serve as more than just places to read; they are digital access points for those without the means to stay connected, educational centres for lifelong learners and shelters for vulnerable populations. Libraries are, quite simply, the backbone of any inclusive urban environment. 

The closure of Halifax Public Libraries during the NSUPE Local 14 strike revealed just how essential these institutions are. Without them, many are deprived of safe, welcoming spaces to gather, connect and commune.

The right to the city

To reclaim third places in cities, we must go beyond the physical spaces themselves. The “Right to the City,” as articulated by French philosopher Henri Lefebvre, asserts that urban spaces should be shaped and governed not by market forces, but by residents. 

This perspective encompasses more than just access to places like public libraries. It prioritizes communities over commodities. If such empowerment is absent, people are little more than padding for investment portfolios, lining the pockets of developers and corporations. By exercising their Right to the City, citizens regain their voices and participate in the revolutionary creation of a new kind of city. Such a city prioritizes their needs, represents their stories and shifts power from the business block to the town square.

Implementing the Right to the City requires rethinking urban planning and policy. Cities must invest in public infrastructure that fosters inclusivity and provides genuinely free, accessible spaces for social interaction. Initiatives could include increasing public transportation, designing pedestrian-friendly streets and creating more affordable housing. Halifax, like many other cities, must also prioritize the creation of non-commercialised spaces where people can gather without the expectation of spending money.

The closure of Halifax Public Libraries serves as a reminder of how fragile our third places have become. While libraries are critical to maintaining inclusive urban spaces, they alone are not enough. Our cities must replace pay-to-play environments with a post-capitalist public life, where everyone has the right to participate, regardless of their socio-economic status. Reclaiming third places is about more than preserving libraries. It is about creating a future where cities are designed for community, not for profit.