Wednesday, August 14, 2024
HomeSportsCapers edge Tigers by two

Capers edge Tigers by two

By Natasha WhiteSports Contributor

Things were looking extremely promising for coach Anna Stammberger and the Dal Ladies as the Tigers raced out to a 10-0 lead, holding the first-place ranked Capers scoreless for the opening five minutes. But with the help of a stifling full-court press and some long twos, Cape Breton University (CBU) came back to tie the score at 22 by the half. Second half action was a fierce back and forth battle, with the Tigers and Capers swapping the lead several times.
An upset by seventh-place Dal seemed to be in the making. After an admirable first half free-throw shooting percentage (75 per cent), Dal was unable to get to line in the second, while the Capers went 10 for 15. However, turn-overs would prove to be the Tigers’ Achilles heel. Giving up the ball an unheard of six times in the final 90 seconds, Dal turned over possession 32 times to the Capers’ 12.
Undeniably, it was the Dal ladies’ best game of the year. If they can break the press on a consistent basis, they’re sure to be up there with the top-ranked teams in the AUS. Alas, the Tigers came up just short, in a heartbreaking loss to CBU, 51-53. Keep your eyes on the evolution of fifth-year forward Cailin Crosby, player of the game with 21 points, who continues to develop in confidence and skill throughout the season.
The Tigers men also put on show against division leaders CBU. The first half was highlighted by a beautiful through-the-key baseline feed from guard Andrew Sullivan to forward Sandy Veit for two, and a crowd-pleasing half-time buzzer beater drop-in (from star Simon Farine off a Dal missed three) left the score 44-42 for the Capers after 20. Farine drained 26 points and eight rebounds to the delight of the 300 to 400 fans packed into the Dalplex.
Events took a down turn for Dalhousie in the third with starter Sullivan forced to sit – he committed his fourth foul after five minutes in. Sullivan wouldn’t be alone in his foul trouble. Dal’s Sandy Veit and Will Yengue eventually fouled out.
In a promising start to the fourth, Farine again led scoring with two straight buckets. Unfortunately, CBU’s Jimmy Dorsey shot a game high of five three-pointers, edging out Farine for top point scorer: 27-26. A five-minute drought saw CBU outscore the Tigers 14-8 in the fourth – sealing the Tigers’ fate.
A tighter game than the score would suggest, Dal succumbed to CBU 65-80. A special acknowledgement is due to all the Tiger fans, players and volunteers who raised funds for the Canadian Breast Cancer Association at Dalhousie Athletic events Saturday.