HomeSportsHockeyDalhousie residences raise $17,000 for IWK in charity faceoff

Dalhousie residences raise $17,000 for IWK in charity faceoff

The Bighorns and the Trojans faced off once again at the tenth-annual Residence Charity Faceoff on Mar. 14 at the Halifax Forum.

The Trojans dominated the Bighorns 10-3 in a game that was anything but peaceful. The Trojans were relentless on offence, laying the body and chirping the opposition every chance they could get. It was sure to get the Trojans side fired up, who out-cheered, out-chanted, and even out-danced the Bighorn fans.

All Dal residences are split between two teams. Howe Hall, O’Brien Hall, Gerard Hall and Mini-Rez make up the Trojans, while Sherriff Hall, Eliza Ritchie Hall and Risley make up the Bighorns.

The game remained tight in the first period, with both teams coming out guns blazing. Every touch of the puck, hit, and shot would ignite each fan section. The Bighorns opened the scoring, but the Trojans were quick to comeback with three of their own to head to the first intermission with a 3-2 lead. But the Trojans four goals in the next two frames were far too many for the flat-footed Bighorns to handle.

It was clear who the dominant team was in the game, with the Trojans having the majority of offensive puck possession and the Bighorns giving up countless odd-man rushes. The Trojans switched out their goalie halfway through the second, which proved to be a good decision as he remained composed through the final 30 minutes, not giving up a goal.

The annual squid made its on-ice appearance once again, flying in from the Trojan fan section at the start of the third period, resulting in a delay of game penalty. But unlike last year, the squid didn’t change the momentum of the game and the Trojans remained hot throughout.

A cheque for $17,000 was presented to an IWK Health Centre representative after the game, as well as player of the games awards for each team. Dalhousie residences have now raised over $157,000 dollars for the hospital in the past 10 years through the charity faceoff, kickoff and tipoff.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.