HomeSportsHockeyThe Ticker (For the week ending Sept. 29)

The Ticker (For the week ending Sept. 29)

Women’s volleyball win three of four in tourney

(photo by Kit Morgan)
(Photo by Kit Moran)

The Dalplex played host to the preseason Scotiabank Invitational Tournament from September 27 to 29, with the reigning AUS champion Tigers preparing for their title defence. After an opening night loss to Windsor, falling 3-2, the team went undefeated, winning 3-0 against Acadia and Saint Mary’s in Saturday’s matches, and topping Cape Breto 3-1 in Sunday’s matinee. Abby Czene had an impressive weekend at the setter position, with Marlee Powers being named to the tournament’s all-star team and Maggie Li securing MVP honours. The team kicks off their regular season October 25 at Acadia.

Men’s hockey split weekend games following tournament

(photo by Martina Marien)
(Photo by Martina Marien)

Fresh off their victory at the Don Wells Memorial tournament at Acadia, the Tigers continued their preseason in Charlottetown with a 5-1 loss to the UPEI Panthers. Goaltender Wendell Vye registered 32 saves and forward Brad McConnell scored the team’s only goal. The weekend ended on a positive note at the East Hants Sports Complex, as the Tigers defeated the visiting Brock Badgers 2-1 in overtime. The team continues its preseason against Carleton on Friday Oct 4, followed by international bouts against Boston College and the University of Maine-Orono.

Women’s soccer winning streak ends at five

(photo by Kit Morgan)
(Photo by Chris Parent)

After not playing in the first six matches of the season, Taryn McKenna returned to the keeper’s box on Sept 21 with a shutout against Saint Mary’s, earning the 3-0 home victory. Megan Willox and Monica Diab each scored in the first half, with Jenna Goobie adding one more in the 79th minute. However, the Tigers, CIS No. 9 could not capitalize on a road trip to Charlottetown, as the UPEI Panthers blanked Dal 2-0. Still sitting in first place in the AUS, the Tigers head to Antigonish on Oct 6 to square off against the X-Women.

Men’s team underperform in loss, draw

(photo by Chris Parent)
(Photo by Kit Moran)

The Tiger’s week got off to a rough start, losing 1-0 to cross-town rival Saint Mary’s in a match filled with aggressive play. Three Tigers and two Huskies received yellow cards, while Dal’s Nathan Rogers and Tyler Lewars each had a shot on goal. The team hoped to rebound against the last place UPEI Panthers, and midfielder Sangmuk Choi opened the scoring with a goal in the 35th minute. However, the Panthers rebounded quickly with a goal in the 39th minute to even the score at 1-1. The game ended in a draw, and the sixth-place Tigers look to get back in the win column against St. FX on Sunday Oct 6.

Benjamin Blum
Benjamin Blum
A lifelong sports fan, Benjamin Blum entered the world of journalism after suffering a concussion playing rugby for the University of King’s College. From that moment, his twin passions for writing and sports motivated the Thornhill, Ont. native to give this journalism thing a try. Having been an athlete, coach and fan for many years, Ben brings his diverse knowledge of sports along with a witty sense of humour to the sports section. Ben was Sports Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146.