HomeSportsHockeyTigers no match for thriving X-Women

Tigers no match for thriving X-Women

St. FX dominate in 28th consecutive win 

Sports LogoUnbeaten in the regular season since Feb. 21, 2010, the defending AUS champion St. FX X-Women rolled into Memorial Arena Oct. 29 with no signs of slowing down.

Winners of their previous 28 regular season games—including an undefeated 24 last season—visiting St. FX kept the streak alive, beating Dalhousie 6 – 1 this past Saturday. Nicole Hansom led the charge for the winning side, scoring a hat trick and adding an assist.

Janelle Parent counted the other two goals for the visitors, and Abygail Laking had four points with a goal and three assists.

Replying for the Tigers with Dal’s lone goal was Rebecca Smyth, ruining a standout game from St. FX goaltender Katie Greenway midway through the second period.

The defeat gives Dal their second loss of the year to St. FX, falling to 1 – 3 on the young season. The X-Women have won all four of their matches.

The Tigers started the game with energy, buzzing early and putting pressure on their opponents, but they were unable to keep the visitors scoreless. Hansom scored a power play goal at 14:25 of the first before scoring her second goal a little more than two minutes later.

Trailing just 2 – 0 entering the second period, Smyth clawed her team back into the game with a power play goal, but the rest of the night would belong to the X-Women.

Parent and Laking would both score in quick succession late in the second period to make it 5 – 1. Parent contributed another just 37 seconds into the third on a shorthanded play.

Hansom added her third marker late in the game, ensuring her team would walk out of town with a convincing victory.

The Tigers have a week to learn from their loss before they host back-to-back games this weekend. UPEI, 2-3, visits on Saturday and Mount Allison, 1-3-1, is in town Sunday. The two teams are currently just ahead of Dal in the standings.

Henry Whitfield
Henry Whitfield
You can follow Henry on Twitter at @HenryWhitfield, where he tweets about sports far too much.