HomeSportsWomen swimmers place fifth on national stage

Women swimmers place fifth on national stage

Graduating swimmer Emmalina Corriveau finished eighth in the 200 backstroke. (Photo by David Moll via University of Calgary)

It was David and the ladies.

Dalhousie’s star swimmer David Sharpe walked away with three medals at the CIS championship Feb. 21-23 in Calgary. He received two silvers in the 50 and 100 metre backstroke and a bronze in the 100 butterfly.

Shockingly, Sharpe was disqualified from his Olympic event, the 200 butterfly.

While none of the swimmers on the women’s team took home medals, as a team they did extremely well.

The women’s 400 metre medley relay swam to a fourth place result, trailing the University of Montreal Carabins by only half a second.

The women’s team also placed a solid fifth in both the 800 metre freestyle relay and the 400 metre freestyle medley relay.

As a team, Dal’s women finished a fantastic fifth in the country.

Individually, many of the women stood out.

Molly Wedge came sixth in the 50 metre freestyle, Rachel Shin was seventh in the 200 butterfly and Meagan Bernier placed seventh in the 800 freestyle.

Audrey Prayal-Brown performed well in the breaststroke events, placing seventh in the 50, 10th in the 200 and 11th in the 100 metre breaststroke.

Katie Webster came eighth in the 400 metre freestyle and 10th in the 200 metre freestyle, while Emmalina Corriveau recorded an eighth place result in the 200 backstroke and 11th in the 50 metre backstroke.

While the women’s team soared, the men just couldn’t get things going, failing to land in the Top 10.

Even with Sharpe’s medal haul, the team finished in 11th place.

Kit Moran swam to a fifth place result in the 200 metre backstroke and Chris Reith was ninth in the 1500 freestyle.

The end result was not the best showing for Dal’s men’s team, but this was indeed a rebuilding year for the squad.

In 2012, the Tigers men and women finished sixth and seventh in the nation, respectively.

The University of Toronto won the men’s CIS banner and the University of British Columbia took it home for the women.