Thursday, July 18, 2024
HomeSportsHockeyDal fraternity fight crime with skates

Dal fraternity fight crime with skates

By Ian Froese, Staff Contributor

This isn’t your stereotypical fraternity.

The brothers in the Nova Scotia Alpha chapter of Phi Delta Theta are far more than the alcohol-guzzling students you’ve heard about in movies or on television. In fact, their international fraternity is celebrating 10 consecutive years of alcohol-free housing.

“It’s a stereotype we’re constantly struggling with and one we’re constantly trying to break over and over again, which isn’t really a problem with our chapter,” said Eric Fleming, president of the Dalhousie fraternity, “We just keep doing what we’re doing which is community involvement.”

Phi Delta Theta assists in numerous charitable ventures in Halifax, but a proposal had them thinking outside the East Coast.

Cape Dorset, Nunavut, a remote Arctic hamlet of about1,200, was rattled by gun crimes last fall that shook the otherwise peaceful community. Mike Soares, vice-principal of a local school and fraternity alumnus Mike Soares requested Phi Delta Theta’s help to put a smile on the faces of the community’s 500 kids. Their plan was a skate drive, an initiative they called Skates For Dorset.

By providing as many pairs of skates as possible they could actively engage the kids and divert their attention from the violence that marred their community through sports.

“Our goal is to put one pair of skates in the hands of each of the 500 kids in the community,” said Fleming, “and we’re about half of the way there and we’re constantly rising.” They have collected upwards of 220 pairs.

Phi Delta Theta’s 30 members began their campaign late last year. They orchestrated a Facebook group, went door-to-door, visited local arenas, and talked to their friends, among other avenues.

Soares knew the fraternity was capable of getting the job done, said Fleming.

“He’s an alumnus of our fraternity so he knows that we actively engage in the community and try to make it a better place for everyone. We’re just taking it a step further and making the national community a better place,” said the 20-year-old. “We take every opportunity to help out wherever we’re needed.”

Most of their skates have already been sent up north. Soares coordinated with Team Nunavut to fly the equipment with the athletes leaving Halifax from the Canada Games.

Although their main push is over, the fraternity will continue to accept donations for the foreseeable future. If you are interested in offering a pair of skates or other hockey gear, please contact Eric Fleming at 489-3707 or nsa.president@phidelt.ca.