HomeArts & CultureBreaking down the wall

Breaking down the wall

Peter Brennan, the man behind the music.

So, so you think you can tell / Heaven from Hell / Blue skies from pain.

If you recognized this classic song from iconic English rock group Pink Floyd, you are a true 1960/1970s soul. If you didn’t recognize the song, chances are you have at least heard of Pink Floyd.

This weekend at the Rebecca Cohn, Symphony Nova Scotia and Jeans n Classics are coming together for an epic night filled with renditions of Pink Floyd’s music—specifically from their album Dark Side of the Moon. There will also be music from contemporaries of Pink Floyd during the first half of the two-hour concert.

Peter Brennan is the man behind the music. He arranged all the music for both the orchestra and his group, Jeans n Classics, which is made up of 30 people who play along with orchestras. Some are vocalists, while others are guitarists and keyboardists.

Already performing 45 shows across Canada and the United States, Jeans n Classics has done similar concerts covering bands such as The Beatles and Queen. Although this concept is fairly unique, Brennan laughingly states, “We already have events booked for the summer of 2013”.

Arranging these beautiful renditions is easier said than done. Brennan has already spent months working on these pieces. He says it was hard to capture all the elements of Pink Floyd’s music into an orchestra. The sensory and mystic style that was characteristic of Pink Floyd does not make the process easier. “You have to show a great deal of respect to the band, as well as try to balance in the orchestra, allowing them to be a part of it, not just in the background, holding whole notes.”

Although the pieces won’t sound the exact same, several important elements from Pink Floyd concerts will be incorporated into the actual music. This includes the long guitar solos, the lighting scheme and that spacey sound produced by vintage keyboards. They will also be using sound effects such as clocks ticking to encompass that 60s feel.

“I hope that the music washes over the people and allows them to get lost in it, and that they come away with a good feeling”, says Brennan of what he wants the audience to feel coming out of the concert.

This concert is an opportunity that should not be missed. It will balance a band with the unique orchestra sound, blending together elements of old and new.

So get yourselves down the yellow brick road to the Rebecca Cohn next weekend to enjoy firsthand what happens when two musical worlds collide to pay tribute to a legendary band.