HomeArts & CultureIn Halifax, green is the new black

In Halifax, green is the new black

Eco-friendly fashion alternatives in the port city

Gia Greer on market day. Photo by XXXXX.

Eco-fashion designer Gia Greer has seen the effects of climate change first-hand.

“I worked up north for a couple of years as a junior high school teacher and up there it’s really easy to see the signs of global warming,” says Greer.

This, along with the fact that she had previously lived in an area of Japan hit hard by the nuclear disaster, prompted the 32-year-old to shift career paths and launch her line of organic, sustainably-grown and recycled knitwear and hemp clothing items this May. “Tamper Me This” will be joining the ranks of many environmentally friendly indie designers on the Halifax style scene.

Her newly created line of sustainable clothing will see its “grand opening” on Sept. 28, in a unique fashion and music hybrid performance at the Seahorse Tavern.

With a cover charge of $5 and performances by local acts Julia Feltham, The Sorrys and Hindlegs beginning at 8 p.m., the show will feature a 20-minute fashion “performance” featuring Greer’s best-selling items at the weekend markets: stocking knit hats, simple hemp fabric tops, knit leg warmers and socks.

Greer says the night was planned as a “fun way to celebrate starting the company,” appealing to both the eco-fashion lover and the average pub-goer.

Tavern booking agent Troy Arseneault tells the Gazette to expect more eco-fashion-centric nights there in the future.

“We’re planning something with [“upcycled” clothing company] Orphanage Clothing in November. Everyone’s in that environmental mindset right now,” he says. “The Tavern is thinking about it too.”

The conscientious fashionista can find many other ways to support eco-fashion close to home in Halifax as well.

In fact, the very day before “Tamper Me This” hits the Tavern, Halifax will play host to the eClothes Sustainable Fashion Show and Trunk Sale at the World Trade and Convention Centre. At $35 a person, the event will feature local and well loved designers such as Orphanage (available at 24 twenty eight and Pro Skates) and Laura Chenoweth (Bhavana Yoga Boutique, Nurtured, P’lovers Halifax). The show begins at 4:30 p.m. with a trunk sale, leading in to the runway show at 7 p.m.

For shopping, Hali-stylers should head to Love, Me on Birmingham Street for handmade wares from small local businesses, or take a weekend trip to the Halifax Seaport Market or Historic Brewery Market for unique wares, such as locally crafted leather belts from Mariner Craft, hand-made accessories from Wa-Ou, and of course, Gia Greer’s sustainable delights.

Another option is Put Me On, an adorable vintage/indie designer mix located on Queen Street that I cannot hype up enough. The store offers the recycled fashion wares of owner Pamela McInnis and Lena Kroeker.

And of course there’s always the socially-conscious act of thrifting through charity shops and Frenchy’s.

So get out there and go shopping! In a town like Halifax, it’s the responsible thing to do.