Friday, September 27, 2024
HomeOpinionsDalhousieCampus study spots: ranked best to worst

Campus study spots: ranked best to worst

As classes ramp up and things start to get real, finding a campus study spot can be a nightmare. Life as a student is hard as it is, so here are my favourite study spots on campus, ranked from best to worst. 

1. The quad 

Let’s be honest, we students don’t get outside as much as we should. So why not expand your mind and get a tan at the same time, by kicking back and studying in the quad? Plus, your friends might walk past and assume you’re smart-–and isn’t developing that image at least half the point of studying? 

2. The University of King’s College Library (downstairs) 

Though not as pretty as the library’s upstairs, the basement is much better for actually studying. Plus, you can use your study break to admire the weird King’s artifacts—like a cuneiform tablet, an ancient Egyptian necklace or Shakespeare’s mug. If you need to get work done, the cramped cubicles and lighting make this the place to be. 

3. The Dalplex couches in front of the pool 

I know it sounds unconventional, but these couches are beyond comfortable. Plus, something about everyone giving their all while swimming makes me feel inadequate enough to actually do my work. It’s mostly empty, but when people pass by, they assume you’re an athlete, which is also nice. The only downside is that the AC is blasting. If you go, make sure to bring a scarf. 

4. The Wardroom

Studying in the Wardy is hit or miss—sometimes you get stuck in a three hour conversation, but that’s just the way it is. However, it is definitely a great place to eavesdrop; from the other side of the pool table, you can overhear the craziest things. 7/10 for studying, 10/10 for gossip. 

5. The King’s College Library (upstairs) 

This is probably the prettiest spot in Halifax (sorry, Dal students); the first floor of the King’s library has natural sunlight, oak desks and beautiful old books. The only downside is that it’s pretty enough to tempt you away from studying. Enter at your own risk! 

6. Between your classes!

This may not count as a study spot exactly, but it is a crucial part of being a student, and an experience you should try at least once.

7. The SUB 

It’s boring, but it gets the job done. The SUB is solidly in the middle of the list, but at least you can pick up a good snack while you’re there. 

8. Psychology tower 

The psychology tower is quiet, has lots of natural light, and has lots of space, but the absolute maze you’ll need to navigate to get there makes this option a no-go for me. 

9. The Grawood 

The Grawood has tables and space, but otherwise I wouldn’t recommend it. The tables are sure to be sticky, and if you procrastinate, you might run up a bar tab. Or, worst case scenario, get a hangover before a test. Enjoyable but risky.

10. The Daplex (weights room) 

The Dalplex weight room is obviously not an ideal place to study, but you could do worse. There’s natural white noise, and you can always take a break and get swole. At the end of the day though, the Dalplex is so crowded you might not be able to see your computer or book. Plus, the only desk is a weight rack. On the whole, it’s not great, but it’s still better than Killam. 

11. The Killam Memorial Library

The Killam is technically a library, but it’s not lovingly nicknamed “the depression bunker” for nothing. The light is grey, the walls are grey, the desks are grey, and after you leave, your skin will be grey too. Nothing is worse for your health, mental or otherwise, than spending time there. I absolutely do not recommend it.