Saturday, September 28, 2024
HomeSportsHockeySports Briefs

Sports Briefs

Dylan Matthias, Sports Editor

Oh, dear, Dal Tigers

There’s a certain Gazette hockey writing tradition that starts up around January involving the Tigers men’s hockey team’s playoff chances and despairing articles about terrible streaks in January.

The Tigers kicked that tradition off in fine form this weekend, following up their 5–0 loss to the always-dangerous Varsity Reds with a 9 – 4 pounding at the hands of UPEI. It’s the Tiger’s third straight loss (they lost 4–0 to St. FX in the last game of 2010, too), although at least they scored this time.

More revealing is the fact that, if the Tigers do manage to make the playoffs, they’ll have a good chance of playing UPEI in the first round. The Panthers currently sit third, with 22 points. Dal are sixth with 16 points and a whopping -23 goal differential.

This weekend isn’t any easier for Dal, as they play Saint Mary’s and St. FX. The weekend of the 21st and 22nd will be crucial as the Tigers play lowly St. Thomas and seventh-place Moncton at home. If they drop points in those games, the currently held playoff position could slip away.

UNB shutout streak extended to three games

The Varsity Reds haven’t allowed a goal since Dal beat them 6–3 at Memorial Arena on Nov. 27th (although they did give up one to McGill in exhibition play).

The Reds had a rough first half, at least by their standards, losing to UPEI in the first game of the season and dropping games to Saint Mary’s, Acadia and Dal later on.

The Varsity Reds face UPEI, St. FX and Saint Mary’s in the next two weeks, all at home.

Provost sets AUS goal-scoring record

Université de Moncton star Mariève Provost scored her 106th goal on the weekend, passing Brayden Ferguson of St. FX for the all-time AUS scoring lead.

Provost already has more points (205) than Ferguson (196) and has played four fewer games (96) than Ferguson (100). She is the first ever AUS player and only the third CIS player to reach 200 points, according to her bio on the AUS website.

Dalhousie’s Jocelyn LeBlanc sits 11th on the list with 62 goals.

This is Provost’s last year of eligibility. Moncton sit second with 19 points behind St. FX, who have 24.